Friday, February 17, 2012

Hokey-Pokey Stuff

I don't like hokey pokey stuff.  You know, those like 'magical' things people get in to.  When people just 'feel' or 'believe' something 'just cause'.  Like when a black cat crosses your path you're going to have a bad day, or you think garlic will ward off vampires.

So things like religion, meditation, spirits... never really been my thing.  Where's the science in that?  Where's the evidence that we should devote our lives to something that doesn't seem to make sense?  Where has everyone's logical reasoning skills gone?!

Thus this whole yoga thing doesn't make much sense.  I can't really even explain why I was attracted to it in the first place.  Probably just fitness.  Benefits to flexibility and strength.  But before I knew it, I was practicing every day for two hours, reading books and blogs, chanting and meditating.

I decided not to analyze it too much (quite the challenge for me).  I just makes me feel good.  I feel 'different' after.  I feel more self-aware, in control of my emotions, and most of all, happy.  Gosh, I'm starting to sound like all those 'hokey-pokey' people!

But then I came across some good ol' scientific research that may make me not so crazy:

 

Maybe too much thinking is a bad thing.  Stress, anxiety, depression, all seem to stem from thinking too much.  According the article and news clip, research shows we can change this by simply making an effort not to think for a little bit every day.

For me it all ties to the idea of being present in the moment.  Not analyzing something in the past or worrying about something in the future.  Yoga itself is a moving meditation.  The focus on the breath, muscle engagement, and visual focal point bring your mind to the now.  The task at hand and nothing more.

But you don't need to do yoga to benefit.  Just sit and breathe for a bit.  Be aware of yourself.  It's amazingly simply, yet incredibly powerful stuff.

Too hokey-pokey for you?  Dare you to give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment