Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Bird’s Eye View of the World

I remember when hiking was some boring activity that my mom tried to make me and Alyssa, Eric and Adam do together for “family time”. Walking up huge hills and arguing with my siblings while bugs bit me on every open surface of skin, was not my idea of fun. And the conversations that evolved in those moments of forced participation almost always led to family feuds. Alyssa and I whine that we are tired. Adam gets bored, picks up a stick and pokes Eric in the back ‘by accident’. Eric retaliates with a full-on fist to the shoulder. Mom yells at Eric. Adam snickers. We come to a muddy patch in the path. I refuse to walk through it and Alyssa follows suit nagging that she was supposed to be at a friends house hours ago. Mom finally gives up. We turn back and head for the picnic area (food we could always agree on).

But I gotta give my mom props for that (thanks, ma). Because it did instill something important in me that I can now appreciate. The idea that I need to get outside. The philosophy that enjoying nature is important and should be practiced regularly. It’s sort of a cultivated taste. Like enjoying a glass of dry, aged red wine. You need to work up to it and stay the course to appreciate it for what it is. Of course I still enjoy hiking a great deal more with willing participants :).

As a result, I hike now as often as I can. Almost weekly, friends and I take the mountain. One of the best things to do in Korea is hike. Foothills, natural parks and hiking trails incorporate themselves into even the most metropolitan areas. You can be shopping in the biggest mall in Asia and in a ten minute walk find yourself in bubble of natural terrain aside a mountain face.
Of course I love the quiet, the peacefulness. and amazing view from the top, but I think it’s the longevity and commitment that get me. Once you commit to a hike, you are in for the long haul. It is most likely a two hour struggle to the top and an equally challenging meander back down the other side. Your going to sweat and get tired, but you must push forward. Once you get to the top though... man, it’s worth it. Looking from the heavens down on our expanding existence is a humbling and almost spiritual experience.

Last weekend I hiked the popular Seoraksan Mountain with group of other assorted expats. Here’s my highlights:

No comments:

Post a Comment