Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Going Outside to Get Inside

I gotta say, I am LOVING teaching this year. I mean I always liked it, but this year feels different. I'm making better connections with my students and doing far more meaningful (and fun!) lessons, activities, and labs. My two sections of Environmental Science are totally making the difference. I have been given a ton of freedom in teaching the course and I have run with it. We are taking a hands-on, project-based, authentic learning approach. We constantly ask the question, 'why do we care?' and the students are totally getting into it! So far this year we have done biodiversity studies in the woods and at the river (see pics). When I hear a lot of, "ew, gross!" and "woo, look at that!" I know I'm doing my job right.

My hope is that my students are starting to care about the world around them, analyze information given to them, and be willing to question accepted understandings. It's funny though, because in this process I think I'm the one that is benefiting the most. I have to first ask myself why I care, why it's important, and how I can make a difference before I can enter the classroom with that attitude. I'm researching, watching videos and documentaries and revolutionizing the way I think about the environment (and even myself). If you're interested, a few good ones:

Videos:
Food, Inc,
No Impact Man
Energy Crosswords
Books:
Field Notes from a Catastrophe: A Frontline Report on Climate Change
Silent Spring

Seems like I'm starting to get things right in multiple areas of my life lately (it's no wonder it's reflecting in my teaching). Doing my best to be open, honest and true to myself and I'm totally feeling the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment